Friday, April 8, 2011


Green Poems for Poetry Month!


Not only is April Earth Month, it's also National Poetry Month. to celebrate, here are a few of my favorite green-minded poems:


The first is painted on my daughter's wall and is our family mantra:






Hurt No Living Thing




Hurt no living thing:


Ladybird, nor butterfly,


Nor moth with dusty wind,


Nor cricket chirping cheerily,


Nor grasshopper so light of leap,


Nor dancing gnat, nor beetle fat,


Nor harmless worms that creep.


-Christina Rossetti




The second perfectly sums up my feelings about plastic, especially plastic toys!



A Prayer for a Carpenter

About most subjects

I am quite elastic,

But I cannot stand

A world of plastic.



Plastic flowers, plastic tables,

Plastic window, plastic door,

Plastic, plastic,

I abhor.



When I die,

And if I'm good,

I pray that heaven


be built of wood.

-Louis Phillips




The third is typical, brilliantly witty Ogden Nash:



Song Of the Open Road

I think that I shall never see,

A billboard lovely as a tree.

Perhaps, unless the billboards fall,

I'll never see a tree at all.

-Odgen Nash


Do you have a favorite poem that celebrates the earth? Leave a comment and tell me about it!









No comments:

Post a Comment